Clean-in-Place (CIP) is a technique used for cleaning purpose for large and medium size carriers, equipments, filters and associated fittings etc. without dismantling, usually used in process plants. It is an apparatus used in preparation, delivery, issuance and successive removal of cleaning solutions to polluted appliance. Earlier, closed systems were disassembled manually for sanitization which takes lots of human time, effort and are costly thus, influencing the overall productivity. Understanding that all the facilities must maintain a grade of cleanliness, the CIP system is a go-to solution.
The emergence of Mobile or Fixed CIP/SIP System Plant was a gift the industries that required frequent internal cleaning of their instruments and apparatus. A number of industries are relying upon CIP for attaining high level of hygiene and purity includes: dairy, soft-drinks, processed food, cosmetics, pharmaceutical, brewing etc.
The modern CIP skid is intelligently build and designed to sustain. The CIP skid is the soul of CIP. The skid supplies all the cleaning circuits with the required temperature, flow and conductivity for the accurate time through automated control. This skid also discards all leftover cleaning chemical added during the procedure. The CIP/SIP systems are usually mechanically controlled and the cleaning procedures are given the optimum timing for the systematic cleaning of all parts of the plants. CIP make use of a blend of chemicals, heat and water to wash the device without disassembling the plant. The task can be one shot, where everything goes to recovery, which recycles most of the liquid.
CIP’s are available in many designs and can also be custom designed as per client’s requirements but about all CIP skids have similar components that are essential to their functionality. These components comprehend flow meter, pump, heat exchanger, temperature transmitter and associated valves and piping. Skid units can be made modular, custom-made, automatic, semi-automatic as per the need, for processing and cleaning. These are designed to supply water, introducing cleaning chemicals, temperature and delivering the cleaning solution to the soiled system.Factors affecting the potency of the cleaning agents:
- Contact Time of the cleaning agent: Longer the cleanser contact period, better the cleaning effectively.
- Pressure exerted by the cleaning detergent solution creates a abrasive force that destroy and dissolve the stubborn smut from inside the hardware.
- A concentrated agent will unsoil a dirty surface much better than a dilute one.
- Raising the temperature of the solution increases it’s pollute removal efficiency.
- Process system cleaning and draining ability.
- Chemical properties like pH and hardness of water or solution.
- Biological properties like end toxins etc.
- Type of process appliance.
- Simple and minimum human involvement operation.
- Ability to trace batch and parameter recording.
- Controlled operation.
- Reproducible and repeatable procedure.
- Easy installation.
- Minimum operating time (faster cleaning).
- No disassembly and reassembly of parts.
- Increases production efficiency.
- Less labor intensive.
- Repeatable procedure that can be recorded for verification.
- Adjustable cleaning procedure as per the equipment.
- Removes not only dirt but bacteria, yeast, spores which one cannot remove by any other means.
- Satisfactory result.
- Less chemical exposure, safer for workers.
- Dairy Industry.
- Personal and home care.
- Food and beverage industry.
- Brewing industry.
- Bio-tech industry.
- Pharmaceutical industry.